Clothsoul - A roguelike about something or other

• So I already have a devlog on the TIGSource forums, but it wouldn't hurt to do one here as well. So I've been working on this game, Clothsoul, for about 3 weeks now. So far it does these things:

• Randomly generates levels
    • Keeps track of certain stats, such as the elapsed time for your current run and such.
    • RPG-like stats (HP/DAM/SPD/Etc.)
    • Player movement and some combat mechanics.
    • The Peasant enemy. (Throws stones at you, can be shot and killed, etc.)
    • Title/Pause screen with an option, stats, and credits menu.
    • Gamepad support

I plan on adding a HUD next, and after that buddies. (Companions/Familiars) Eventually I'll get around to making it so level exits actually do something, because right now they only allow you to venture offscreen. Anyways, here's some screenshots rather than text.

alt text
    The title menu picks from a random array of characters to show. Currently there's only the main character and the Peasant enemy.

alt text
    The pause menu also picks from a random array of images to show under the level/time.

alt text
    Here's the player standing next to a level exit.

alt text
    And here's some peasants.

Anyways that's it. Yep.

• Alright so I finished the HUD. I'm thinking of adding an item box, if there's consumable items or something. Anyways, the player can have a maximum of 12 patches, which I'll show. There's also a currency counter, which is represented by a wad of cash. Anyways, here you go.

alt text

alt text

• Oh right, added this little bit too.

alt text

• Looking good! This pixel font doesn't really fit the style, but everything else looks brill!

• I've got a thing for games like this! I will certainly check it out as soon there's a public build :)

Not sure about the dashes on - LIFE - , but the rest is coming out great. How do you plan to add the controllers? There was a library named Controls that checked for multiple inputs which sure could come in handy

I'll keep an eye on this, thanks for sharing!

• @Claudio-Ficara said in Clothsoul - A roguelike about something or other:

How do you plan to add the controllers? There was a library named Controls that checked for multiple inputs which sure could come in handy

The gamepad support is already all set up, though it's not extremely smooth. I'm not really sure why I even bothered to support gamepad since I'm aiming specifically for a keyboard/mouse setup.

• @rzuf said in Clothsoul - A roguelike about something or other:

Looking good! This pixel font doesn't really fit the style, but everything else looks brill!

He's right ^

• @Ohmnivore said in Clothsoul - A roguelike about something or other:

@rzuf said in Clothsoul - A roguelike about something or other:

Looking good! This pixel font doesn't really fit the style, but everything else looks brill!

He's right ^

Guys it looks fine in-game. It's not like it completely destroys the graphical style or anything. Every other font I tried out just fell flat, and this pixel one works rather well.

• Right, I forgot to mention that I'll be going quiet on development about this. The game is basically being completely re-designed, so it will be a week or two until I get back to talking about it.

• Games like this keep me entertained for hours, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us after the redesign.

• @joff Hopefully the game will still be engaging after the redesgin, it's not exactly going to be a roguelike anymore which is a bummer. Though I'm still keeping in some planned elements, such as buddies, randomized items, and all that good stuff.

• @Carpetwurm Oh no, How come you have given up with the Roguelike idea?

• @joff It's not that I've given up, I still really want to do a roguelike eventually. What happened is my art pal and I have decided to work together on a game, and since this is our first game together we decided to downscale it quite a bit.

• The new version of Clothsoul will probably get it's own devlog, so I may end up deleting this one. (If I can)

• working on "clothsoul 2.0" (not actual title in any way, i'm just calling it that to avoid leaking any information)

here's a little water ripple thing.

alt text

• Finally started a devlog on here for "Clothsoul 2.0", you should check it out.

link