Advice for expanding to Linux and Mac from Windows cpp target

• Hi everyone,

I'm currently on borrowed hardware that is running on borrowed time :) It happens to run Windows and I can't do much about that at the moment, due to the borrowedness of it.

So, if I want to distribute my HaxeFlixel game not just for Windows, but also Linux and Mac (compiled natively to each, not flash or HTML5)...I have a few questions.

a) For Linux, I have two old netbooks. One segfaults even trying to run OpenFL's PiratePig demo compiled locally, so I don't think it's necessarily suitable for compiling my game. The other is not really offered to me per se for any development purposes. So, I think that leaves me buying a USB stick, putting Linux on it, and booting to it from the Windows machine. In that case, what's the distro that in your experience has caused the least issues with HaxeFlixel?

b) Supposing somehow I could get a Mac to compile on, maybe via a starving artist kickstarter or something, what is Mac compatibility like with HaxeFlixel? I.e., if I get a new Mac, will my friend who has a 5-year-old Mac be able to run the game? Or will I automatically be limiting myself to people with newer Macs? What about the other way around, if I get a used one somewhere with an older OS on it?

Thanks for any wisdom/experience you can share about these :)
    KJB

• I personally use Ubuntu 16.04 as my main computer, and I wouldn't quite recommend it because there are some rough edges. I would suggest you get Ubuntu 14.04 or the latest version of Linux Mint. If you're on older hardware, you probably want to use Lubuntu or the LXDE version of Mint.

Also, when does the netbook segfault? It could be an issue with the neko library. There was a recent thread where somebody had issues because neko was broken. I had this issue too, and I just removed and reinstalled haxe.

I have never owned a Mac, so I can't say anything there.

• I am using Linux mint 17.2 .. and I have been using Haxefliel for over a year now without any OS specific problems.

• @alihassan That's good to know--my segfaulting netbook is also Mint 17.2 (32-bit), so at least I know it's not because it's Mint, anyway :)

• @Desttinghim Thanks for the info. From the looks of the thread, I think I have a different issue, because my syslog info was quite different. Also it was on a fresh install of haxe + openfl + haxeflixel, so I'm not sure a reinstall would help, but you never know, so maybe I should try.

Good to hear about Ubuntu...maybe I can talk the Ubuntu netbook owner into lending it to me for this, since it's already 14.04. The rough edges, are these also compiling on 14.04 but trying to distribute to 16.04?

• I don't know whether the issue is with compiling or something else without seeing error. Could you post it?

• @Desttinghim said in Advice for expanding to Linux and Mac from Windows cpp target:

I don't know whether the issue is with compiling or something else without seeing error. Could you post it?

It's this one (just the memory addresses may vary, but the exact same error is given with PiratePig as with DQ, so it's not DQ-specific, it's OpenFL- and/or my-machine-specific.)