[JRPG] HEGEMONE PASS - Turn-Based RPG x Platformer

• It's a very small update this week, as most of the week went into doing content planning for the game's first chapter. Not much visually was done, except for updating and optimizing the title equip screen in the pause menu.

Imgur

The screen highlights who gets affected by the selected title when equipped by the party member when they are the leader. The update to this screen was done because it was poorly optimized.

And a little debug screenshot, since I'm a bit short of stuff to show this week: rising water!

Imgur

Each character has special tweaks when under water. When Ethan is under water, his bunny glide will lose altitude much, much slower than usual, allowing you to cross very large gaps. With rising water, there can be puzzles where the player would need to wait for the water to be sufficiently high to cross a large distance, being impossible to perform outside of the water.

There's going to be more stuff hopefully next week. There was so little stuff to show off I didn't update the blog this week! :o

• These character designs are stunning :o

• Whoops! I completely forgot the past two weeks to update the devlog on here!

I'm too exhausted from the past few days of work outside, so I'll be giving a quick summary of both updates, both which can be found on the main website.

MEMO, THE GOD OF MEMORY

Imgur

Link: http://hegemonepass.com/memo-memory-god/

In this post, I write about a new friendly, non-playable character, Memo. He's the god of memory, and can help you with a shop, a save feature and more!

LEADER LOCK ZONES

Imgur

Link: http://hegemonepass.com/new-obstacle-leader-lock-zones/

The more recent post, talking about a new obstacle, the Leader Lock Zone! It forces your leader to switch to the color of the designated leader lock zone, and prevents you from switching your leader while inside!

Hopefully, I'll remember next time to post it here.

• WOAH

Woah there! Great news! (and priority changes)

There was an unexpected Siliconera article that popped up! I did not send any Press Release, FYI.

Check it out here: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/01/hegemone-pass-turn-based-rpg-cute-knights-underworld-power/

It's nice that an article has been written! However, I must work on a Press Release ASAP, alongside a trailer, so that journalists have a clear idea about what the game is about and help them write about the game more easily. The game appearing in a larger space other than game dev forums / twitter does require me to take more caution with what I release (I don't want unfinished material passing off as finished, for example)... The Press Release will be an attempt to showcase the gameplay and the special properties of the leader switching and titles mechanic through the trailer, with the text being reviewed to make sure I can get the message accross clearly. One idea is a Super Smash Bros % Ejection Comparaison shot-like scene in the trailer for showcasing the effects of the different titles.

This means I got to work on my writing, making sure I can convey the necessary information clearly.

The website will also be updated with the new PR. Certain small details have changed, and certain screenshots have outdated tiles or UI elements.

This is a very sudden update. This whole week I'm working full time at work (not much rest), but from next week I'll be able to resume regular work on the game. Updates are going to slow down: the press release material is going to take the highest priority (it was already high enough, but the article does push the urgency of doing it).

This is also going to force me to decide on the music composer, and if possible, the promotional artist.

TL;DR: Siliconera posted about our game! Since I did not send a Press Release, but it's out there on a big site, the top priority is to get a Press Release and trailer written, to clear any confusion and help out the writters when writing about the game.

• Best Of luck with it, love seeing what you post on twitter and super great to be seeing such a great game on haxeflixel by the looks of it. :smile:

• img

Been a while!

Currently, I've been working on a lot of different things, but all towards one goal: to get a trailer/press release done. One good thing is that the Database Editor is useable, and I can create content much easier than before. There are still a few things to iron out, but the game takes the data correctly now.

img

There are other things I did, but a lot of it is mostly backend. A few things, like field damage counters, are shown in my latest post on the website.

Hopefully, I'm expecting to get the all this done near end November. Hopefully. I also need to decide on a composer, as the trailer will require music.

Long time no see! I've posted a new blog post today! To summarize, the game is now entering content development.

Check out the blog post for more details on the changes, I'm a bit too lazy to copy and paste all the images into imgur...

--> BLOG POST <--

Quick summary

First of all, I am terribly sorry for not having posted anything formal on the devlog. I had a two month period where I had a lot of real-life work to do, and the rest of the time during this silence was doing a lot of backend, such as bug fixing, and optimization here and there. Most importantly, I've also completed during that time both an attack choreography editor (battle animations) and a cut-scene editor, to speed up their creation.

Amongst the new changes, I've redone how intermissions works: they now act like a mini hub stage! You can talk with your allies here and access all the features of the intermission.

You also get to play as Persephone, not within one of your party members, during Intermission.

A few services in Intermission also got a bit of a rework, such as the Mission Select!

Other things were added, like a stat/buff/debuff viewer during battle.

And a few field gimmicks, like the Gravity Minotaur Beam.

Again, sorry for the silence. The other changes are listed on the blog, but now I'm on track to create the contents of the game.

Hello!

Yesterday, I wrote a post on the main website about enemy spawners, more specifically, the different iterations it went through. You can check that out here:

--> BLOG POST <--

To summarize, the game went from a Paper Mario style of spawning enemy encounters, into a more traditional random enemies on the field mechanic, inspired by Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. It's the first time I write this kind of article, focusing on the game design and so on, rather than just keeping people up to date. I might try writing other posts in this vein...

The enemy radar was recently introduced to warn players in advance when enemies are going to spawn. Also recently introduced, the Lightshine item! Used on field, it closes all portals and scares away all foes for a few steps, resetting the radar along the way!

(Sorry, the menu UI is still a bit broken after bitmaptext conversions)

I also created button icons for keyboard and joypad buttons, fixing the keybind screen along the way, and making it so that changes are only applied if you select the apply button.

The last change I wanted to point out was that the game now shows when selecting a target if they are weak against the selected attack during battle! It will be very useful for battle where the enemy can switch between multiple leaders carrying team or leader titles that grant resistances or weaknesses.

I do post a lot more often (sometimes minor things) on Twitter, but I just wanted to post a few things that I pushed on twitter lately. If a lot of small minor updates occur on twitter, I'll probably do small compilation posts here from time to time.

Thanks for reading!

• Hello! Another post has just been posted to the main blog!

--> BLOG POST <--

To summarize...

Imgur

Challenge Battles have been implemented! Find a Challenge Gate, enter it and fight a battle with special conditions to earn special prizes that will be useful for your journey! Losing a challenge does not result in a game over, and can be instantly retried if failed.

Imgur

There are locked doors and the key system that was in the game as a mission objective has now been changed to act like normal keys! Keys only exist within a mission, and don't take any inventory space.

Lastly, new animation for obtaining a Persephone power.

Imgur