Translating from C to Haxe

• Hello, guys!
    I'm translating some C code and I just faced this function:

cvgQERef *cvgQERot(cvgQERef *edge)
    {
       return (edge->r < 3) ? edge+1 : edge-3;
    }

As you can see, he's returning a pointer to the memory address where that edge is. That edge is part of an array, of course.
    My question is: can I do that with HaxeFlixel or should I workaround it (like passing the array as a parameter)?

Thanks in advance!

• You pass objects (array elements), and Haxe cares about reference counting and GC. But for optimization you can see how HaxeFlixel does pools with FlxPoint get() and put().

• I'm not sure if I understood your answer correctly, but in case you're suggesting me to use a pool, I can't, because that function needs to return a specific edge. Thanks for your answer anyway.
    (:

• You don't need a pool. Basically, just have an Array<Edge> a = new Array<Edge>() (where Edge is your type) and return a[i]. Or do you ask about linked lists?

• I was trying to achieve is something similar to the original C function.
    Which would be something like this:

public function rot(edge:Edge):Edge
    {
       return (edge.r < 3) ? edge + 1 : edge - 3;
    }
    //where edge+1 is equivalent to arr[edgeIndex + 1]

//somewhere else:
    var arr = new Array<Edge>();
    arr.push(specificEdge1);
    arr.push(specificEdge2);
    arr.push(specificEdge3);
    arr.push(specificEdge4);

//in case arr[2].r == 2, then specificEdge would be arr[3]
    var specificEdge = rot(arr[2]);

but apparently I can't do that in Haxe. So a workaround would be passing the array "arr" to the function, instead of just one edge.

• Hmm, you could cook your own wrapper that includes array and index and acts similar to pointer.

• Ok, that might work. Thanks @starry-abyss!

Looks like your connection to HaxeFlixel was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.