Super Cute Alien - A cute platformer, inspired on BattleBlock Theater, Super Meat Boy and others!

• hey, i really like your devlog, its really useful and fun to read. Also, the game is looking great, the polish you did on the graphics really shows.

• Thanks mate!

And... as requested, added cover mechanics!

gif here

They are stupidly easy to use. Quickly added because they were a left over from this project .

These are contextual, that means by simply going next to an object you can cover under, and pressing down, you enter in cover mode. That's it. Exit cover by walking off or looking the other way.

Cover systems in 2D are a bit unexplored. The first one as I recall was Blackthorne, this was later picked up by Not a Hero. This is a bit based on Soldat 2D, except is easier to use. And looks like there's nothing else on the subject :(

This will be the beginning of something new, fun times ahead as we go into unexplored territory! I've been lately playing Ghost Recon Wildlands and notice enemies indicator do blink when they are in cover so probably gonna be adding that on the next iteration.

Any suggestions are welcome!

That's it for now, more news later!

• Just saw the trailer it looks really good! Would you mind answering a question of mine? I have some nice graphics that I have been ready to put in my own project. No matter what I do though its blurry and not as good as it should be.
    I use the loadGraphic method in FlxSprite. Is this the wrong way to do it?

• @bronson-sedeno said in Super Cute Alien - A cute platformer, inspired on BattleBlock Theater, Super Meat Boy and others!:

Just saw the trailer it looks really good! Would you mind answering a question of mine? I have some nice graphics that I have been ready to put in my own project. No matter what I do though its blurry and not as good as it should be.
    I use the loadGraphic method in FlxSprite. Is this the wrong way to do it?

Hi Bronson, thanks for your words! Regarding your project, do you have a screenshot? What is the resolution of your game and what is the Flixel resolution, do you use? For example, in my game, my resolution is 16:9 friendly, 1024x576.

From my experience, things get blurry when you use zoom, basically, something that is 20x20, with zoom = 2, might look like 40x40 in your screen, but it will get blurry. Do you use zoom?

Now, regarding SCA, we have been doing fantastic progress in the GFX department, thanks to the very talented Owen Eaddy

alt text

alt text

Also, extended the Dialog class I mentioned before, to have support for a more classic dialog box, multiple characters, and gibberish audio!

alt text

Since this Dialog class is very tiny and I'm quite proud of the results, I'm gonna be sharing it soon, so anyone else can add dialogs and or speech bubbles easily! Like this:

dialog.start("char1Hi there! This is all a filler. See? You can fit a lot of words in this box. Pretty neat, huh?#Another line, same character#char2If you choose not to decide, you still made a choice.#Do you understand?#char1What are you saying?#char2player_name is watching us. KILL THEM ALL!");

THAT'S IT FOR NOW!

EDIT: New enemy! No ghosts (?) anymore. Somewhat concept-ish, but won't change much later:

alt text

• Celebrating 10000 views with a gift for you all! Thanks for the support!

A new day and a new feature that I've been wanting to do for a while.

I did something awesome! Since I'm lazyI like to get results ASAP and I'm quite not planning to do a death animation for each one of the characters, I worked a bit on something I'm planning to share today, which is an automatic ragdoll generator

alt text

Basically, the way it works is really simple. Here are its features:

• Grabs any spine skeleton and clones its parts. Physics bodies will have the image dimensions and the proper image itself.
    • Scaling of said skeleton is supported.
    • Position of the limbs will respect the original positions of each image (so it doesn't pop up).
    • Facing left|right is supported-ish.
    • Supports body parts replacements. So, if you want to use a damaged head, or a damaged torso, you can do so.

HERE'S LIKE 90% OF THE SOURCE CODE!

I don't have time to do a proper tutorial, but basically, you have to expose FlxSpine::getSprite() and create new string name in FlxSprite. A bit hacky, but works!

cloneSlot("larm");
    cloneSlot("rarm");
    cloneSlot("body");
    cloneSlot("head_dead");

tieTogether("head_dead", "body");
    tieTogether("larm", "head_dead", new Vec2(0, -30), new Vec2( -110, 100));
    tieTogether("rarm", "head_dead",new Vec2(0,-40),new Vec2(90,70));

Now that I think of... isn't that automatic, since requires to setup what you want to clone and where the libs are tied together. This should grab the position of the Spine bones. I attempted to do so, but it would need some tweaks because not all bones were created with this in mind.

Well, that's it for now. Hope you enjoy this, in the case you are using skeletal animation in your characters it will be super useful.

alt text

Suggestions or improvements are very welcome!

• @claudio-ficara said in Super Cute Alien - A cute platformer, inspired on BattleBlock Theater, Super Meat Boy and others!:

Also, extended the Dialog class I mentioned before, to have support for a more classic dialog box, multiple characters, and gibberish audio!

I am using HTML5 target. When I use the neko target, everything looks nice and sharp. I am not sure if this is a limitation of Haxe or flixel.

• But are you using zoom, antialiasing or any of those things?

ANYHOW, been tweaking a bit more the ragdoll system, which is up to a point where is good enough for the rest of the project. Takes around 5 mins to setup a ragdoll, but the benefits are immense.

Added balancing radgolls! They try to stand upright while... well, while they are dying in pain...

you should be seeing a GIF here

Also added a gibberish audio when the characters do talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQ2N-tHC5c&feature=youtu.be

Also, worked a bit more on the GFX: tiles, backgrounds are a bit more nicer:

alt text

That's it for now! Thanks for the support!

EDIT: changed the gif url, 'cause sometimes doesn't work

• Been working with the musician. Did I mention it? Well... here's the incredibly talented guy, Robert Fenn. Idea is to have adaptive music. Is something that I did before but I'm planning to take it a step further!

Here's a video that was supposed to be internal, but if anybody wishes to see how the single player gameplay is doing, please check it out!

click to see video

In the search of an optimal image quality, something more on the artistic side and less computery, less artificial, implemented HDR + Cromatic Aberration:

alt text

Notice how the lighting comes through and feels a bit more natural.

Idea is to have a final image that blends together in a better, more natural way. So the player notices less the artificial separation of sprites.

That's it for now. Next step is enhancing interaction with props, and even more effects. Cheers!

EDIT: Well, to avoid multiples post, wanted to include something else I just did, which are ... more gameplay options!

alt text

The way I see it, games should have a wide range of options to pick from, so you pick what's most fun for you. This is why brute force was added.

If player doesn't feel like completing a puzzle, he will have the option of just blowing the frigging door. The hell with it. For this though, player would need to craft a bomb by collecting... screws? Those allow the player to create physical stuff, such as the little car or bombs (for now).

The explosion basically creates a copy of any given FlxSprite, converts it to a FlxNapeSprite, and then blows it away by using the fracture from the Cutup demo.

And... hey, if cool people share source... I can do that too! Check the Explodable class I did. Is a good example of collision callbacks, since they support multiple sounds (hard/soft) based on impact force! A super handy way to copy a sprite would be to use graphic.key just like this:

var explodable_door = new Explodable(myDoor.getMidpoint().x, myDoor.getMidpoint().y,myDoor.graphic.key);

Also, this explodable thingy supports barrels. Heh.

alt text

And that's it for now. Hopefull my next post would be about music!

• Well... more improvements, perhaps a few, but were hard to pull off...

I implemented a dynamic lighting system. It uses the basic implementation of Orlando Pisano ORL, from the old forums:

alt text

However, it was really slow and super basic. So I extended it a bit so the performance is good enough. They look much more natural, the ones from the original source looked a bit dead... Also, multiple lights are supported, they can be switched on/off and there's light styles (for a camp fire, ie), they can be toggled, scaled up, etc. All of this can be easily set from Tiled.

Here's some comparisions:

alt text

And a few more:

alt text

alt text

This had to be done because now... there will be a new mechanic, and has something to do with power sources. Idea is to completely shutdown bases. Lights going off would be the necessary visual feedback that you did good. This will be like... puzzles within puzzles.

The other thingy that got done is the dynamic music. Supports day/night and if a puzzle is nearby, another fancy track will come in. But is better if I show a video about this, which I will do later.

That's it for now!

PS: Sounds fair that I share my improvements. This only covers the improvements made upon the basic class from ORL. Not that I don't wanna share, is just the other stuff is closely related with my own game source code. ANYHOW:

LightManager.hx
    Light.hx

Gosh, I'm so tired. Enjoy!

• These Lights look incredible thank you so much for source. When the new haxeflixel version comes out you should really try giving your assets some normal maps your game would look even more incredible with lights then.

Looks like your connection to HaxeFlixel was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.