A Wicked Curse

• A Wicked Curse
    A Wicked Curse is a top-down adventure game set in a small procedurally generated open-world, with roguelike elements, and strong fairytale inspirations. Alongside upgradeable stats and equipment, it features a "curse" system, making each play through unique!

As mentioned above, the game includes a curse system in which you eat a cursed apple at the beginning of each run. These curses will alter your current witch, such as making anything she 'kills' turn into a frog, alter a stat or two, etc.

Additionally, there should be a full-fledged upgrade system. You will be able to upgrade stats, health, and purchase new equipment which should make each subsequent run a bit easier, and different than the last.

Artist
    I'm working with Fervir, who is also working on his own game, Elysis.

Platforms
    Looking to target PC / Mac / Linux

Random GIFs
    Forest Battle

Mean Muffins

Messing with lighting

Critters

Any feedback, ideas, and especially criticism are all greatly appreciated. Follow me on twitter for more frequent updates.

Note
    I have a slightly larger devlog on TIGSource, here. I will update this one alongside the one on TIGSource, but if you want to see some of the older posts, have at it.

• The forest seen in my main post above is actually going through some changes. The entire game was originally set to an ambitious 640x360, but we've downscaled down to a more maintainable 480x270 native pixel resolution. This is still a WIP (especially The Big Bad Wolf), but here's a look at some of the reworked assets:

alt text

A closer look at the new trees:
    alt text

Lastly, a random GIF:
    Gumdrop Button

• I love the direction of this! Sounds like it'll be pretty addictive!

• I think the art-style is awesome. It's so cute! Looks like a lot of fun :D

• The art is fantastic. Can't speak for the game because obviously it hasn't been released yet. Please keep us updated!

• This looks great, Any plans to release a little build that we can mess with?

• Thanks for all of the kind words. There should be a playable build sometime in the future, I'm just not sure when :slight_smile:

• administrators

I've been coming across screenshots on Twitter... Looks fun! Keep it up!

• Thanks for the kind words @nospoone .

I've spent the last few days implementing the equipment and enchantment systems, so I don't have much to show. However, here's a screenshot of the new look for the woods area, where the game starts:

alt text

Ignore that Robin Hood portrait, it's still a WIP.

• It's been some time since I updated this devlog. I wish I had more to show, but I've been mostly coding the game's various systems.

Here's a GIF of the game's title screen, with save files:
    Title Screen

Next, we have a new, high-def logo:
    Logo

Third, here's a glimpse at the whale's belly dungeon, with cameos from the mini-alligator, oyster and jellyfish enemies:
    Whale dungeon

Lastly, a door in action in the whale's belly:
    Door

That's it for now. :smile:

• I've been coding a lot of the UI lately, but took a break to clean up the game's intro area where you can buy upgrades and/or equipment. Here's a look at it, sans the shops, with the game's loading screen towards the end:

alt text

Ignore the sloppy Robin Hood textbox. That hasn't been touched up yet.