Help with file select screen

• I'm trying to make a little file select screen somewhat like The legend of zelda

My problem is the white square placeholder that I'll use as a cursor doesn't move when I press up (haven't done down yet)

In console it says which spot it SHOULD be in, but it doesn't show it there.

Here's my code, with all the non-selection stuff out for cleanliness

{
    	public var whiteSquare:FlxSprite;
    	private var Y:Int;
    	override public function create():Void
    	{
    		var whiteSquare = new FlxSprite(55, 55);
    		whiteSquare.makeGraphic(16, 16, FlxColor.WHITE);
    		add(whiteSquare);

var Y:Int = 1;
    		super.create();
    	}

override public function update(elapsed:Float):Void 
    	{

if (FlxG.keys.anyJustPressed([UP, W]))
    		{
    			Y -= 1;
    			if (Y <= 0)
    			{
    				Y = 3;
    			}
    			FlxG.log.add("fasd");
    			if (Y == 1)
    			{
    				FlxG.log.add("1");
    				whiteSquare.y += 100;

}
    			if (Y == 2)
    			{
    				FlxG.log.add("2");
    				whiteSquare.y -= 45;
    			}
    			if (Y == 3)
    			{
    				FlxG.log.add("3");
    				whiteSquare.y -= 55;
    			}
    		}

super.update(elapsed);
    	}

• as far as I can see ... you are not even initializing the whitSquare variable right. since you are creating a new local variable in the create() function using the var keyword. so I can't see where is the public variable initialized.

I would also advice against using relative values when moving the cursor. because then you wouldn't be able to tell when a position is wrong quickly since errors are accumulated. so something like whiteSquare.y = 155; is better

• 'Var' is for declaring a new variable. Look at the fixed version and compare to yours:

super.create();

whiteSquare = new FlxSprite(55, 55);
    	whiteSquare.makeGraphic(16, 16, FlxColor.WHITE);
    	whiteSquare.updateHitbox();
    	add(whiteSquare);

Y = 1;

• @Ali-Hassan said in Help with file select screen:

as far as I can see ... you are not even initializing the whitSquare variable right. since you are creating a new local variable in the create() function using the var keyword. so I can't see where is the public variable initialized.

Ahh, that was it, all I had to do was remove the var before whiteSquare and it fixed my problem!

I would also advice against using relative values when moving the cursor. because then you wouldn't be able to tell when a position is wrong quickly since errors are accumulated. so something like whiteSquare.y = 155; is better

That was just a thing I was testing out right before I posted the code to the forum, forgot to change it, but I'll definitely keep that in mind!