Dynamic Audio

• Hi all!

I was a participant in the Google group for a while and just learned about the new (to me) forums recently. Looks great!

Anyway, I'm curious..is there any good FMOD implementation for HaxeFlixel (or any other dynamic audio system?) In particular for playing layers of sound individually..I don't mind writing a solution myself and started doing this a while ago (I believe it was @Gama11 that was nice enough to expose some important data including timestamps from FlxSound in Haxeflixel) but there were some issues or bugs (can't remember exactly what the issue was, this was a year or two ago).

I guess my question is...has anybody done this or found a good implementation of an existing library? I haven't kept up with things since about HaxeFlixel v3), does anybody know if haxeflixel has better support now for a roll your own solution?

Thanks!

Christian

• There are bindings for Haxe, they don't look complex, but I didn't try them yet:

https://github.com/AaronShea/faxe

• Ahh, cool. That may be helpful, I'll have to look into figuring out how to wrap that to work seamlessly with HaxeFlixel. Thanks!

• Worth noting that FMOD won't work on Flash and HTML5 targets though

• @starry-abyss ah, good point, I didn't realize that (going to start looking at this in depth tonight). That shouldn't be a problem for this particular project, which will target c++ and possibly mobile, but I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. Now I've gotta start digging into how to extend Haxeflixel to play nice with this and integrate it seamlessly (have never really done this or thought about how to do it, suppose I start with FlxObject.) Thanks for the heads up!

(edit: Nevermind, I'm diving in now and building OpenFL extensions to use external bindings like this is new territory, although I had always planned on learning it at some point. Time to research!)

• Just wanted to leave a quick update here; the bindings work great as is! Took me a little while to get it set up and figure out where everything goes, but it works very well! I may post my example haxeflixel project sometime to help people out, but I think I'll wait until I have a little time to actually integrate it into flixel.