FlxRandom, inconsistency when restarting a state

• Hi guys,

I'm currently using FlxRandom to generate the levels in my game. I'm not sure if I'm using it right, but if the user enters a seed, I set FlxRandom.initialseed to that number - I've also tried doing FlxRandom.currentseed.

The problem is that when I reset the state, it will consistently generate two different levels. So for instance, if we have level A and B (the two possible outcomes now, although I was hoping for only one), with every reset it will go : A,B,A,B,A,B,A,B. Sometimes it does some other pattern, but a pattern is always present.

So I ask, am I using FlxRandom wrong? Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks!

• According to the API, FlxRandom::initialSeed is used for recording and saving stuff. So you should only set FlxRandom::currentSeed for your level generation, and it has to be between 1 and 2,147,483,647.

If the problem still remains, I'll need to know how you use FlxRandom for that.

• Yeah as I said I'm already using currentSeed and it still outputs the same result. I'm within boundaries.

• Try dividing the problem into small sub-problems. You should look at the actual numbers generated by FlxRandom, and not at the levels

• Do you mean this by reset the state?

FlxG.resetState();

How do you use FlxRandom to generate levels?
    I've written a test case which generates 10 integer from the same seed and I get the same result every time I reset the state or switch it.