OpenFL Legacy Vs -Dnext ??

• While playing around with the compilation options I noticed that the default builds without the -Dnext option will compile and use the legacy version of OpenFL.

This is what the logs shows when compiling, I'm showing Stage.cpp as example.
    Default/Legacy (without -Dnext)
    - src/openfl/_legacy/display/Stage.cpp

New/Current (with -Dnext)
    - src/openfl/display/Stage.cpp

I was under the impression that the new/next - non legacy - version was default. If I execute

haxelib run openfl -version

It states: "Use -Dv2 or -Dlegacy with your commands to use OpenFL 2.x legacy mode". Yet the default is legacy?. Also I do like to know which one would be best to use? My primary target is CPP on all supported platforms. I read the new/next render-engine is better and faster but since the default is legacy i'm curious to know which one you recommend me using?

• administrators

The OpenFL version that Flixel uses, 3.6.1, already defaults to "Next" - however, Flixel currently still flips that default back to "Legacy" at the moment. OpenFL versions starting with version 4 have removed the OpenFL "Legacy" entirely.

In my experience, legacy is a bit more stable in combination with Flixel right now. Feel free to give Next a try though!

• Thank you for the insight. Since the new OpenFL removed legacy it seems to be most effective to try and use -Dnext. Because thats seems to be the future anyways. And I am building this project from scratch, so if there are any issues with -Dnext suppose to Legacy I ratter try and deal with them right away then be forced to do so later.

-Dnext seem to be working fine but sometimes on Android or Windows the build process fails. At this moment I have no log statement, but i belief it was the linker that failed. Other then that I have not experienced any real problems. If i see the build problem happen again i will save the log and post it.

Thnx!