[Solved] Game plays sound once and then cannot find file

• I'm trying to extend the Breakout Demo in order to learn my way around HaxeFlixel, and I'm struggling with getting a sound to play every time the ball hits a block.

I call up the sound inside the hit function with the line FlxG.sound.play(AssetPaths.hit__wav);
    This plays the first time a block is hit but immediately throws an error:

[ERROR] Could not find a Sound asset with an ID of 'assets/sounds/hit.wav'.

After this first hit, the sound never plays again. If I play again without restarting the entire application, the game crashes when the ball hits a first block again with the following error:

Called from sys.io.FileOutput::$statics line 1
    Called from ApplicationMain::main line 84
    Called from ApplicationMain::create line 116
    Called from lime.app.Application::exec line 269
    Called from lime._backend.native.NativeApplication::exec line 160
    Called from a C function
    Called from lime._backend.native.NativeApplication::handleRenderEvent line 453
    Called from lime.app._Event_Void_Void::dispatch line 101
    Called from openfl.display.Stage::addRenderer line 332
    Called from openfl.display.Stage::render line 942
    Called from openfl.display.Stage::__broadcastEvent line 1032
    Called from openfl.display.Stage::__handleError line 1308
    Called from openfl.display.Stage::__broadcastEvent line 1028
    Called from openfl.display.DisplayObject::__dispatch line 453
    Called from a C function
    Called from openfl.events.EventDispatcher::__dispatchEvent line 217
    Called from flixel.FlxGame::onEnterFrame line 538
    Called from flixel.FlxGame::step line 665
    Called from flixel.FlxGame::update line 735
    Called from flixel.FlxState::tryUpdate line 172
    Called from PlayState::update line 185
    Called from flixel.FlxG::overlap line 397
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute line 593
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute line 593
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute line 601
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute line 584
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::overlapNode line 660
    Called from PlayState::hit line 191
    Called from a C function
    Called from flixel.system.frontEnds.SoundFrontEnd::play line 194
    Called from flixel.system.FlxSound::set_volume line 690
    Called from flixel.system.FlxSound::updateTransform line 547
    Uncaught exception - Invalid field access : volume

I've ensured that my AssetPaths are defined in AssetPaths.hx inside my source folder as such:

package;

@:build(flixel.system.FlxAssets.buildFileReferences("assets", true))
    class AssetPaths {}

Anecdotally, my IDE also autocompletes the path to the hit sound when using AssetPaths, so every appears to be set up correctly.

I also just tested building outside of my IDE (vscode) with the command lime test linux -64 -debug and got the following crash when I tried to play the game a second time in a row, as above:

Called from openfl.display.DisplayObject::__dispatch openfl/display/DisplayObject.hx line 453
    Called from openfl.events.EventDispatcher::__dispatchEvent openfl/events/EventDispatcher.hx line 217
    Called from flixel.FlxGame::onEnterFrame flixel/FlxGame.hx line 538
    Called from flixel.FlxGame::step flixel/FlxGame.hx line 665
    Called from flixel.FlxGame::update flixel/FlxGame.hx line 735
    Called from flixel.FlxState::tryUpdate flixel/FlxState.hx line 172
    Called from PlayState::update PlayState.hx line 185
    Called from flixel.FlxG::overlap flixel/FlxG.hx line 397
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute flixel/system/FlxQuadTree.hx line 593
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute flixel/system/FlxQuadTree.hx line 593
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute flixel/system/FlxQuadTree.hx line 601
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::execute flixel/system/FlxQuadTree.hx line 583
    Called from flixel.system.FlxQuadTree::overlapNode flixel/system/FlxQuadTree.hx line 660
    Called from PlayState::hit PlayState.hx line 191
    Called from flixel.system.frontEnds.SoundFrontEnd::play flixel/system/frontEnds/SoundFrontEnd.hx line 194
    Called from flixel.system.FlxSound::set_volume flixel/system/FlxSound.hx line 690
    Called from flixel.system.FlxSound::updateTransform flixel/system/FlxSound.hx line 543
    Error : Null Object Reference

Any help resolving this issue would be appreciated. Please let me know if you would like more information of any sort.

• @ananaso

odd. I tried to duplicate the problem and when I use an ogg file it works fine (neko and windows), but with a copy of a wav file that I've already used in another project, it crashed. So I opened it up in Audacity and exported as 32 bit Float PCM wav and it didn't crash but made no sound. I then exported it as 16 bit PCM and it worked. The original was 16 bit PCM, so I'm not sure why it didn't work. Something to do with making a copy? Anyway, it looks like wav 16 bit PCM works, but only after I exported it as a new file. The copy/paste file didn't work. Maybe someone knows why this is?

tldr: Open the file in Audacity and export it as a new wav file with 16 bit PCM

EDIT:
    I didn't notice you were using linux. But I did have a similar problem with windows build. Not sure it will help with your problem.

• i had a similar error with a sound file that embeds data. try removing all data from the sound file such as the year it was made or the name of the sound file in audacity. that should stop the sound crash.

EDIT: also, as I was programming, I documented all the strange happenings such as music crash or making tiled maps, bugs, etc. you might find useful this file https://github.com/galoyo/SpaceCastle/blob/master/dev/README FIRST.html

• (First of all, as a side note: I'm an idiot that didn't realize the "my sound playing one time" was actually the bleep the debugger makes when it throws up an error...woops.)

I looked at your README, @galoyo, and that actually completely solved my problem. I hadn't found mention about setting the asset paths in the Project.xml until now and yours was quite enlightening, and actually makes sense why my sound wasn't playing and the error it was throwing in the debugger!

To be more explicit for the sake of including everything here for posterity, I had to define my sounds in Project.xml like so:

<assets path="assets" if="flash" exclude="*.ogg" />
    <assets path="assets" if="windows" exclude="*.mp3" embed="true" />
    <assets path="assets" if="neko" exclude="*.mp3" embed="true" />
    <assets path="assets" if="linux" exclude="*.mp3" embed="true" />
    <assets path="assets" if="html5" exclude="*.mp3" embed="true" />

<assets path="assets/sounds" rename="sounds" if="flash" embed="true">
    	<sound path="mySound.mp3" id="mySound" />
    	<sound path="myOtherSound.mp3" id="mySound2" />
    </assets>

<assets path="assets/sounds" rename="sounds" unless="flash" embed="true">
    	<sound path="mySound.ogg" id="mySound" />
    	<sound path="myOtherSound.ogg" id="myOtherSound" />
    </assets>

Then, I called the sounds in my code like so:

FlxG.sound.play("mySound", 1, false);
    FlxG.sound.play("myOtherSound", 1, false);

And that's all there is to it! Since I'm on Linux, I could simply use ffmpeg to convert my original sound files, such as wav files, to the appropriate mp3 and ogg formats like so:

ffmpeg -i mySound.wav mySound.mp3
    ffmpeg -i mySound.wav mySound.ogg

Thanks again to both of you for helping me!

Looks like your connection to HaxeFlixel was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.